datasets, rdlc, filtering data....

thefunnyman

Programming Experience
3-5
First Post....

I've built many reports based on many architectures ranging from web-based reports using java/struts, to batch reports using cobol. Super easy. I had control.

Enter vb.net rdlc reports....I'm a little new to VS and vb.net

I have built an entire standalone application building my own datasets/datatables in code. That's how I'm used to working with data. I have steered clear of using the gui-based dataset builder because I don't understand some of the fundamental aspects of it, how to filter data. Well, it seems that I cannot find a way to build my own datasets in code and apply them to a particular report.

I can take a basic dataset with a few tables in them and display that on a report, no problem. But I would like to pass the report an id parameter and give me a specific record from said dataset to display on that report. I've done extensive googling and I guess I can't seem to enter that magic search criteria to get what I'm wanting. I feel really dumb for resorting to asking this question as I'm sure it's been asked a million times.

Could someone give me some guidance on accomplishing this seemingly simple result? No need to regurgitate something that's already in another forum, links will do.

Thanks in advance,

thefunnyman

Back