Data Binding Error

timh

Programming Experience
Beginner
Can someone explain this error to me please?

An unhandled exception of type 'System.ArgumentException' occurred in System.Windows.Forms.dll

Additional information: This causes two bindings in the collection to bind to the same property.

The line my program fails at is:

VB.NET:
commentTextBox.DataBindings.Add("text", entrantcontrolBindingSource, "comment")

Whilst I can seemingly work around this error, by "On Error Resume Next", this in turn seems to cause some strange binding errors later on.

The whole subroutine is as follows:
VB.NET:
    Public Sub BindEntrantControl()
        'sub to bind data to entrant control (entrant details form)

entrants = eventdataDS.Tables("entrant")

If entrants.Rows.Count = 0 Then
            entrants.Clear()
            Exit Sub
        End If

entrantcontrolBindingSource.DataSource = entrants

If issearch = True Then
            entrantcontrolBindingSource.Filter = searchcriteria
        Else
            entrantcontrolBindingSource.RemoveFilter()
        End If

DataGridView1.DataSource = entrantcontrolBindingSource
        EntrantControl1.BindingNavigator1.BindingSource = entrantcontrolBindingSource

'next line temporarily commented out
        'On Error Resume Next

With EntrantControl1
            .urnLabel.DataBindings.Add("text", entrantcontrolBindingSource, "urn")
            .surnameTextBox.DataBindings.Add("text", entrantcontrolBindingSource, "surname")
            .firstnameTextBox.DataBindings.Add("text", entrantcontrolBindingSource, "firstname")
            .dobDTP.DataBindings.Add("value", entrantcontrolBindingSource, "dateofbirth")
            .ageLabel.DataBindings.Add("text", entrantcontrolBindingSource, "age")
            .sexComboBox.DataBindings.Add("text", entrantcontrolBindingSource, "sex")
            .address1TextBox.DataBindings.Add("text", entrantcontrolBindingSource, "address1")
            .address2TextBox.DataBindings.Add("text", entrantcontrolBindingSource, "address2")
            .address3TextBox.DataBindings.Add("text", entrantcontrolBindingSource, "address3")
            .address4TextBox.DataBindings.Add("text", entrantcontrolBindingSource, "address4")
            .postcodeTextBox.DataBindings.Add("text", entrantcontrolBindingSource, "postcode")
            .entrantphoneTextBox.DataBindings.Add("text", entrantcontrolBindingSource, "entrantphone")
            .entrantemailTextBox.DataBindings.Add("text", entrantcontrolBindingSource, "entrantemail")
            .ecnameTextBox.DataBindings.Add("text", entrantcontrolBindingSource, "ecname")
            .ecphoneTextBox.DataBindings.Add("text", entrantcontrolBindingSource, "ecphone")
            .clubnameComboBox.DataBindings.Add("text", entrantcontrolBindingSource, "clubname")
            .ukathleticsnumberTextBox.DataBindings.Add("text", entrantcontrolBindingSource, "ukathleticsnumber")
            .nsrraTextBox.DataBindings.Add("text", entrantcontrolBindingSource, "nsrra")
            .feeLbl.DataBindings.Add("text", entrantcontrolBindingSource, "entryfee")
            .feecategoryComboBox.DataBindings.Add("text", entrantcontrolBindingSource, "feecategory")
            .paidCheckBox.DataBindings.Add("checked", entrantcontrolBindingSource, "paid")
            .methodComboBox.DataBindings.Add("text", entrantcontrolBindingSource, "method")
            .commentTextBox.DataBindings.Add("text", entrantcontrolBindingSource, "comment")
            .numberissuedbyComboBox.DataBindings.Add("text", entrantcontrolBindingSource, "numberissuedby")
            .dupnumberflagCheckBox.DataBindings.Add("checked", entrantcontrolBindingSource, "duplicatenumber")
            .racenumberTextBox.DataBindings.Add("text", entrantcontrolBindingSource, "racenumber")
            .ranCheckBox.DataBindings.Add("checked", entrantcontrolBindingSource, "ran")
            .timeMaskedTextBox.DataBindings.Add("text", entrantcontrolBindingSource, "time")
            .overallposTextBox.DataBindings.Add("text", entrantcontrolBindingSource, "overallpos")
            .classposTextBox.DataBindings.Add("text", entrantcontrolBindingSource, "classpos")
        End With

End Sub

I can't find anywhere else where I'm binding either the commentTextBox.text property, or the "comment" field of entrantcontrolBindingSource, so I'm mystified by the error message. I guess I'm probably being daft and misinterpreting the message.

Can someone suggest what may be going on here?

Thanks,

Tim

It means that you've tried to bind the Text property of the control more than once. If a property is already bound and you want to change that binding then you must remove the old binding before adding the new one.

Back