Crystal Reports and Visual Studio

JDGIlbert

Programming Experience
10+
Greetings!

I'm a new member and this is my first post. I was wondering if anyone knows of a concise, complete guide on setting up Crystal Reports for use in VB.Net desktop apps and on the web server for use by Asp.Net apps.

We are currently use XI release 2 and have the appropriate run-time installed for that version. However, I want to upgrade from VS2008 to 2010. I installed the separate CR add-on for VS 2010 from the SAP site but I can't seem to find any info on what needs to be done on the web server.

I'd like to find out if I can have more than 1 version of the runtime on the desktop clients, or if the new runtime is backward compatible with older reports.

I'd also like to know step by step what I'd have to do on the web server. I didn't do the current install so it's a bit of a black box to me.
I've spent hours googling and searching the sap site but I can't seem to find anything that clearly lays it all out.

Thanks in advance!

G'd evening JDGIlbert and Welcome to the forum :)
As far as i know, yes your rpts will open fine with later versions of the product. In the web server just install the cr runtime that's all. May be that's why you didn't find much info about it.
In my case i never install any CR version for VS. I have CR 2008 and i see no reasons to upgrade.
I don't think you'll need to run different versions side by side on client PC's if you are upgrading VS you don't need to upgrade your CR, in fact if you ask me, the few times i did i had to go back and undone.
If you can avoid install the newer CR version do it. Any way here you'll find "All" what they say about side by side installations
G'd luck

Last edited:
Back