Crossword Puzzle Grid - GUI. How are they made?

green

Programming Experience
3-5
How are crossword puzzle grids made? I have written logic to generate a puzzle. My problem is the GUI part. So far the only way I am displaying the results in a grid-like format is using two controls, a Groupbox with a Label inside it. This way I can put the reference number to be clue for the word in the title line of the Groupbox, and the individual letter in the Label. To make the cell in the grid editable (my goal for a different version of the puzzle), I guess a Textbox would have to replace the Label.
The GUI for real online (professional) crossword puzzle grids is much nicer than this. I am sure the developers of these do not use my method. Does anyone know how such grids are made?

Making customized controls in VB is possible, but I’m not sure if it can be done in Java; therefore, I will make that a last resort. I don’t know what to combine that wouln’t take up a huge amount of space and time to paint. I have searched the net and looked in books on games and VB with no luck. I need something that I can grow dynamically depending on the grid size needed to hold the crosswords.

If anyone can offer suggestions on coding or even point me to a book or website that has information, I would appreciate it.

Back