Question Creating a simple installer

vvMINOvv

Programming Experience
3-5
I'm trying to write an installer for starcraft (a very old game). I have the original cd but and have copy on my harddrive as well, my problem is; everytime I install starcraft i have to install all the patches for it after the install. I want to write an installer that does that for me. The process seems pretty simple to me, but i do not know where to start nor do i know what language to use

The installer would do this:
1- install the game by running the installation of the game (cd or harddrive)
2- detect that installation is over
3- installs patch 1 by running its exe
4- detects patch 1 installation is over
5- restarts computer
7- installs patch 2 by running its exe
8- detects patch 2 installation is over

any help would be greatly appreciated

You can do this by a simple batch file.

install_starcraft.cmd:
VB.NET:
D:\setup.exe
E:\pathc1.exe
E:\patch2.exe

There might also be some commandline parameters for the installation, like a silent install and such.

Bobby

Oh...missed these two, sorry.

Normally the batch should wait for each job to complete before going on. The restart problematic is another. You can call shutdown or reboot from the batch, but is it really necessary to restart the machine 'cause of a game patch?

Otherwise you could split the installation, Part1 with the rebott command at the end, part2 after the reboot. There might also be some tricks, like copying in Part1 Part2 into the autostart, and then removing itself and such.

Bobby

Thanks But...

Im sure the batch would shell and wait, but it would only wait until the program is shelled not after the program was done doing its thing....is there no remedy for this? or is batch programming not the way to go on this one?
thanks for your replies

I'm trying to write an installer for starcraft (a very old game). I have the original cd but and have copy on my harddrive as well, my problem is; everytime I install starcraft i have to install all the patches for it after the install. I want to write an installer that does that for me. The process seems pretty simple to me, but i do not know where to start nor do i know what language to use

The installer would do this:
1- install the game by running the installation of the game (cd or harddrive)
2- detect that installation is over
3- installs patch 1 by running its exe
4- detects patch 1 installation is over
5- restarts computer
7- installs patch 2 by running its exe
8- detects patch 2 installation is over

any help would be greatly appreciated
You do realize the the newest patch installs all the previous patch's stuff too, right?

All you gotta do is:
1 - Install StarCraft
1A - Install Broodwar if you have it
2 - Install the lasted SW/BW patch (depending on if you did step 1A)

Play the game. No need to restart/reboot the computer either.

This goes with Diablo2/LOD too.

thanks ajeeshco ill check it out tonight.
@JuggaloBrotha , yea i know but i figured its easier to say patch than to say an extractable with maps and saved games. and an installer for a custom driver (which is what needs the restart) their a bunch of exe's is and a restart needs to be done somewhere in the middle is what matters...thanks though

Back