Create service

jamie_pattison

Programming Experience
Beginner
Im using Visual Studio 2008 standard edition. Is it possible to create a windows service with this edition? If yes how do i start with it?

Thanks

Service Template and VS Std Edition

Yes, Visual Studio 2008 Standard Edition does according to product comparison have the Windows Service template.

According to the "Walkthrough: Creating a Windows Service Application in the Component Designer" at Walkthrough: Creating a Windows Service Application in the Component Designer The Windows Service template and associated functionality is not available in the Standard Edition of Visual Studio.
:(

So, can you tell me where I could get the service template?

They have moved the page to this download: Download details: Visual Studio 2008 Product Comparison Data Sheet I attached a PDF printout of page 23 where it says Standard edition has the service template (last line). Since the help pages has added the note about Standard edition not having it (that note was not there when I posted the link), there is a conflict in information, who knows what is right, most likely the added note is the latest and most correct.

Attachments

• Microsoft Word - VisualStudio2008-ProductComparison-v1.08 page23.pdf
    77.2 KB · Views: 47
They have moved the page to this download: Download details: Visual Studio 2008 Product Comparison Data Sheet I attached a PDF printout of page 23 where it says Standard edition has the service template (last line). Since the help pages has added the note about Standard edition not having it (that note was not there when I posted the link), there is a conflict in information, who knows what is right, most likely the added note is the latest and most correct.

Hi JohnH

Thanks for clarifying. I bought the Std version around 8 months ago. The service template is definitely not delivered with it.
:(

Back