Connecting to online database

Droideka

Programming Experience
3-5
Hello guys,

I'm making a program that has to access a online microsoft access database.
Which connection string do I have to use?

I've tried a number of sql strings but none of them work.
I've managed to connect to my server but that's it. If I want to update or insert a new row in my online database it gives an error.
When I delete the online database the connection string keeps working.
So I guess I'm just connecting to the server and not to my database.
I've spoken to my webspace provider and the directory where my database is in is write/update etc enabled.

Can somebody help me with this?

Thanks in advance! :)

MS Access is a file database, not a database service, so you can only connect when there is file system access to the database file.

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to use a sql database.
Got some problems with putting it online but i'll figure it out somehow!

SQL Server ??? hmm ... in that case if you want to do anything against the MSSQL from remote location you should 1st check whether host company allows external connection(s). Usually they do not but just in case you can ask them ... maybe searching in FAQ section will help too ... i.e. godaddy's faq

Regards ;)

Ups sorry i didn't ask you ... is that Windows or Web programming? If it's the 2nd one then you will have no such issue while it is windows app you should consider my previous reply unless you want to back to MSAccess that is as JOHN told you already file based backend and you can establish connect no matter win or web app.
In both case ... please post the code (portion where you connect to the db)

Thx kulrom, I've converted the access database to mysql and put it on a mysql server. The only problem I have is when I use my program (that connects to the mysql database) the connection lags. It's not as fast.. But when I access the database using mysql manager than it works fast enough.
Weird but, thats programming I guess :)

Thx for the help guys! Appreciate it

Back