Connect to SQL Server across the internet...

lidds

Programming Experience
Beginner
I need some advise and guidance as this is well out of my comfort zone.

I have developed an VB.Net application that works with SQL Server and currently connects to the SQL server over a network within the clients company, no problem here. One of my clients has asked the following question, which I'm sure is possible to do. My client is working with another company in a joint project and my client wants my software to be used within this other company, but all the data to be saved to the same SQL Server database. My client is happy to host the database, but I am unsure how to make my software connect to this database from the other company. I guess this would have to be done over the internet somehow, as they are not in the same network.

Both of these companies are very security conscious and therefore I need the most secure option to acheive this.

Anyway and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance

Simon

You can enable access via HTTP on SQL Server directly, but this is usually considered to be the most risky solution from a security perspective. You could use a web service, but that would require you to change the code of your app from direct DB access. Possibly the best option would be for one site to allow VPN access to the other using an account with limited permissions.

Back