Config Data Storage

95se5m

Programming Experience
3-5
Hello all, I have a delema that requires local data storage. I have an application currently that connects to a sybase database through ODBC and extracts data. Currently when I connect to the file I store my information in the database I am connecting to.

Now, I am looking to move this to a multi store option, I need to store the location, file, and odbc data locally so that the application knows what site it needs to connect to. I am currently at a loss. Should I load sqlexpress and use a portable file? Should I use XML? I fear though with XML if some idiot deletes the file I loose everything. Should I write the items to a registry key?

I am at a bit of a loss, I do not want to completely rewrite the turning of the wheel, but I also need complete reliability.

Help... :eek:

You dont make much sense..

Data is stored in databases.. are you saying you want to take all the data out of a database and store it somewhere else? Why?
You then say you want total reliability. Do you realise how much money you have to spend to ensure that you are protected from such disaster?

Multiple redundant disks on redundant controllers on redundant servers in secure buildings at 2 geographically separated locations powered independently from the national grid, permanently updated via live redundant fiber optic links costs multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars.. But at least it gets you total reliability in the sense that any disaster big enough to take it out will probably destroy all life within a considerable radius too, thereby ensuring that though it wasnt totally reliable, nobody is left alive to complain about it..

You dont make much sense..

Data is stored in databases.. are you saying you want to take all the data out of a database and store it somewhere else? Why?
You then say you want total reliability. Do you realise how much money you have to spend to ensure that you are protected from such disaster?

Multiple redundant disks on redundant controllers on redundant servers in secure buildings at 2 geographically separated locations powered independently from the national grid, permanently updated via live redundant fiber optic links costs multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars.. But at least it gets you total reliability in the sense that any disaster big enough to take it out will probably destroy all life within a considerable radius too, thereby ensuring that though it wasnt totally reliable, nobody is left alive to complain about it..

I am guessing I did not explain myself enough. I currently have all my data being stored on the 1 database at the location the software is installed at. it's a Point of sales database. I want to go multi-store. I need somewhere to store the common data, while leaving the site specific data in the sites database that I will be connecting to through ODBC. I need somewhere to store the common data, location setup, ODBC connection listing and such.

I know how to use databases and am familiar with their usage, what I am looking for however is the smallest footprint database solution that will keep reliability.

I am guessing I did not explain myself enough. I currently have all my data being stored on the 1 database at the location the software is installed at. it's a Point of sales database. I want to go multi-store. I need somewhere to store the common data, while leaving the site specific data in the sites database that I will be connecting to through ODBC. I need somewhere to store the common data, location setup, ODBC connection listing and such.

I know how to use databases and am familiar with their usage, what I am looking for however is the smallest footprint database solution that will keep reliability.

I still dont quite understand. If you want a headoffice pattern then this is not something to be taken lightly or something that some guy can explain to you in 5 minutes on a net forum..

This kind of thing is what we would sit down and spend a day discussing in the office..I dont really have a day to talk over the options with you, so you might have to be more specific

I still dont quite understand. If you want a headoffice pattern then this is not something to be taken lightly or something that some guy can explain to you in 5 minutes on a net forum..

This kind of thing is what we would sit down and spend a day discussing in the office..I dont really have a day to talk over the options with you, so you might have to be more specific

I am not looking for a how-to on the data, I already know what I need to do with the data. I have the data plan layed out, I am just looking for the best option to locally store it. I am looking for a small footprint data storage option for my data at the home office. The "totals" data is stored in the POS database, my application only reads it. I need a "Settings" database. I could use a portable MSSQL database, but it would require server express to be installed. The smaller footprint my application is the more appealing it will be to the people using it.

I hope this clears things up...

I am not looking for a how-to on the data, I already know what I need to do with the data. I have the data plan layed out, I am just looking for the best option to locally store it. I am looking for a small footprint data storage option for my data at the home office. The "totals" data is stored in the POS database, my application only reads it. I need a "Settings" database.
In .NET 2.0 settings are stored in the "Settings" tab of the project, and if the relevant tick box is chosen on the Application tab, they are saved when the app shuts down

I could use a portable MSSQL database, but it would require server express to be installed. The smaller footprint my application is the more appealing it will be to the people using it.

I hope this clears things up...
If all you want to do is very simplistic storage and retrieval, you can persist the xml of a dataset to disk. Dont expect wonders when it comes to grouping, sorting, summing, etc (Though it can do some of these)

If your POS will locally hold the prices of a large number of products, use a database such as SQLSX or OracleExpress (both free)

I use VistaDB.NET for stuff like this. It's better than SQL CE (comparison), has a 600KB footprint, has a very active community and support staff, but it's not free. Although the comparison is a link to the VistaDB site, which you may think is pro VistaDB, there was a good article in one of the last few VS Magazine that pointed out the limitations of SQL CE as well.

If it's not very sensitive data, then serialize something to disk as cjard suggested.

If the users will be required to connect to your main server for data, then maybe you want to consider storing everything there and using web services to communicate with the offsite applications.

Too many choices, you just have to pick the one that best fits your needs.

CT

Back