Comparing MSAccess 2003 with MSDE ??? plz

betimd

Programming Experience
1-3
Hi for everybody ...

Can anyone tell wich are diferencies between MSAccess 2003 and MSDE ???

Sincerely B3t1m

try to find some threads on this forum that are explaining exactly what are the differencies btween Access 2003 and MSDE. Above i'll i would recommend Access just because it is avoidning all those confusions while you install and configure MSDE because Access is file based DB and doesn't ask for any kind of setting on target PC. Just copy/paste and you are IN. Also don't forget that with MSACCESS you can you can design your DB visualy while MSDE comes without designer and you are able to create tables/fields and stuff only through code.

Reagrds ;)

I'm pretty sure this is going to be taken the wrong way, but what you have asked for is the same as walking onto a car lot and asking for a comparison of a Pick-up vs a Semi.

While both are trucks, they serve different purposes and needs. In the same manner, Access and MSDE server two different purposes and have different capabilities.

So, now, let me ask you, for what purpose do you plan to use a database for? What kind of an application are you writing? What kind of capabilities do you need?

Then and only then can the pro & cons of each DB type be discussed.

-tg

ps: I'd consider Kulrom an expert in this realm - he & I spar over this all the time.

MSDE vs Access

Hey TG, thanks for the support :)

Beti@ althrough you were not so kind as for the first time i will answer your question anyway. First off, my appologize cuz i have forgoten to wellcome you ... well, wellcome to the forum i hope you will collect only good experiences from here ;)

Ok let's start !!!
Assuming that you are MSDE fan that is obviously i would say ... be my guest.
IF you really want to compare these totaly different backends i suppose you should consider their advantages and limitations. Well, to be honest i've used both these but i haven't noticed any MSDE advantage over MSAccess even the "claimed" speed. Let's consider the speed for a while. How do you imagine speed of Microsoft Data Engine? Data that come with speed of flash? Nah ... it comes in consideration if there are thousands concurent users that MSDE doesn't support at all (i'd ignore any speed score if it is measured with single user) then how you can claim that MSDE is faster? However, speed mostly depends on application architecture.

The following are Access table limitations:

MS Access database table specifications:
Attribute Maximum
Number of characters in a table name 64
Number of characters in a field name 64
Number of fields in a table 255
Number of open tables 2048. The actual number may be less because of tables open internally by MS Access.
Table size 1 gigabyte
Number of characters in a Text field 255
Number of characters in a Memo field 65,535 when entering data through the user interface;
1 gigabyte when entering data programmatically.
Size of an OLE Object field 1 gigabyte
Number of indexes in a table 32
Number of fields in an index 10
Number of characters in a validation message 255
Number of characters in a validation rule 2,048
Number of characters in a table or field description 255
Number of characters in a record (excluding Memo and OLE Object fields) 2,000
Number of characters in a field property setting 255

The following are general Access limitations:

MS Access database general specifications
Attribute Maximum
Microsoft Access database (.mdb) file size 2 gigabytes. However, because your database can include linked tables in other files, its total size is limited only by available storage capacity.
Number of objects in a database 32,768
Modules (including forms and reports with the HasModule property set to True) 1,000
Number of characters in an object name 64
Number of characters in a password 14
Number of characters in a user name or group name 20
Number of concurrent users 255

And because MSDE cannot be compared with MSAccess but rather with SQL Server i will show you the MSDE limitations in comparison with SQL Server (taken from MSDN):

MSDE Database Limitations:

No Enterprise Manager

No Query Analyzer

No Index Tuning Wizard

Only 2GB RAM

Only 2GB database size limit

Only 2 CPUs

Only five concurrent batch workloads or 25 concurrent connections for websites

No Database Server Failover Support

No Full-text search

No SQL Server Profiler

No Import and Export Wizards

No OLAP

No English Query

No SQL Books Online

No Full or Bulk-Logged recovery model support (only simple)

notice that this list covers most of the MSDE limitations but not all !!!

And finally did you know that if you install MSDE you can use Access to manage it. It's not intuitive but it does work. You can design tables, stored procedures, assign permissions, backup the database, and almost everything else you can do with Enterprise Manager. How about this?

HTH,

Regards ;)

note:
1. even MSAccess is not free it worths each peny $$$
2. If you really want something free then go for mySQL incomparable better than MSDE

TechGnome said:
I'm pretty sure this is going to be taken the wrong way, but what you have asked for is the same as walking onto a car lot and asking for a comparison of a Pick-up vs a Semi.

While both are trucks, they serve different purposes and needs. In the same manner, Access and MSDE server two different purposes and have different capabilities.

So, now, let me ask you, for what purpose do you plan to use a database for? What kind of an application are you writing? What kind of capabilities do you need?

Then and only then can the pro & cons of each DB type be discussed.

I have experience with both Access and MSDE. I agree with the above post completely.

kulrom said:
Above are 7 posts so, would you mind to tell us which one exactly

The one by TechGnome. I quoted it. I think the development goals and requirements need to be assessed before you can discuss the pros and cons.

Back