Coming Back After Several Years

ProgrammerJohn

Programming Experience
5-10
Hello All;

I had gotten out of the developer end of things several years ago as my career moved on to more management, but am coming back to it. I last developed in VB.NET 2008. I am wondering about how much I have been left behind if I were to pick up the 2013 Professional VB.NET and start back? Any help or advice would be great. thanks you.

John

Pretty much all of what you did in VB 2008 will still be relevant. There will obviously be some new features of the language and Framework that you will want to learn but that can be done in time. Any code you wrote before should work as is now.

You can have every version of VS.NET installed on the same machine all at the same time. You can even have Express and paid-for editions of the same version installed at the same time. One thing to remember though, is that opening an existing solution in a newer version will upgrade it and it will not longer be able to open in VS 2008. VS 2012 can round-trip VS 2010 solutions and VS 2013 can do so for VS 2010 and 2012 but anything created in VS 2008 or earlier will not round-trip.

Back