Clickonce the answer to install problems?

pachjo

Programming Experience
10+
HI,

I have now found out after doing a lot of reading that ClickOnce is probably the best way for me to deploy my application.

I still have a problem which is detailed at the end of this post, but here is how things panned out for me....

First deployment method:

Use the setup wizard to create a setup project which allowed me to include all the files I thought was required.

This method on a virgin PC was less than sweet as the user had to manually locate and install the .NET Framework and the application still failed as SQL Server Express was not installed.

Second deployment method:

Use the ClickOnce deployment approach and select application files and prerequisites.

This method on a virgin PC WAS sweet as it determined that .NET Framework and SQL Server Express was required and automatically installed them and then installed my application.

The application worked a treat, yip yip one happy bunny:D

But.......

The .chm file I created for my application was not included in the ClickOnce project and I cannot see how I can include it. The Add option in solution explorer does not give me that option?

The installer warns of an unknown publisher?

I cannot locate where the install ended up on the target PC?

Questions:

How do I include a .chm file in the ClickOnce project?

How do I become a 'known' publisher? (edit: just found this linkhttp://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms996418.aspx)

Where do the installed files go, all I can find is executablename.exe.deploy files?

Thanks for any help

Last edited:
Hi,

ok I have managed to resolve the publisher issue re the link above :)

I have managed to include various other files via solution explorer so they display in the list of files within the project. But when I go to publish these files do not appear in the application files list and I cannot see how to choose them as there is no option to do so? Help please:confused:

Also I included required .msm files for crystal reports in the other deployment method that worked ok. However again when I try to include these in the clickonce project they dont appear in the publish page? Again help please:confused:

Thanks for any help

After adding the file to project you select it and review its properties, for Build Action it should say 'Content' for non-code files, for Copy Output it will probably now be 'Do not copy' and you change this to 'Copy if newer' or 'Copy always'.

I found myself having weird errors happening that I could not explain with VS, crystal reports etc so desided to remove VS.NET and reinstall

Result all my problems have gone....so my setup must have been scuppered in some way!

Thanks for input ;)

No to test my deployment in anger :)

Back