Click on input field of web browser ~ Get html element

simpleonline

Programming Experience
Beginner
So what I'm trying to do is setup my browser so that when I click an input field like a username, password, etc I would have a screen pop up where I can assign the "id" or "name" of the tag to a variable.

Here is a screenshot of what I am trying to do.

screenshot.jpg

I am able to create those pop up boxes using a custom Content Menu Strip.

Here is the code I have behind the context tab

VB.NET:
Private Sub UsernameToolStripMenuItem_Click(ByVal sender As  System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles  UsernameToolStripMenuItem.Click
        wbMain.Document.GetElementById("username")

End Sub

So from the example above what I am trying to accomplish is I want to be able to click on the username field (then the username menu pops up) and I want to assign the "id" or "name" of the element in the html to the variable of "username".

Got any ideas?

Thanks

azuckerman

Programming Experience
10+
Are you trying to do this in a browser window or from a Windows based application that is checking for some event in a browser?

JohnH

VB.NET Forum Moderator
Staff member
Programming Experience
10+
Handle the document Click event, look up the element. If it is a INPUT element show the context menu. For context menu item click set the elements value attribute.
Private Sub WebBrowser1_DocumentCompleted(sender As System.Object, e As System.Windows.Forms.WebBrowserDocumentCompletedEventArgs) Handles WebBrowser1.DocumentCompleted
    Me.doc = WebBrowser1.Document
End Sub

Private WithEvents doc As HtmlDocument
Private element As HtmlElement

Private Sub doc_Click(sender As Object, e As System.Windows.Forms.HtmlElementEventArgs) Handles doc.Click
    element = doc.GetElementFromPoint(e.MousePosition)
    If element.TagName = "INPUT" Then
        Me.ContextMenuStrip1.Show(Me.WebBrowser1.PointToScreen(e.MousePosition))
        Me.InputToolStripMenuItem.ShowDropDown()
    End If
End Sub

Private Sub NameToolStripMenuItem_Click(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles NameToolStripMenuItem.Click
    element.SetAttribute("value", "name")
End Sub

Private Sub PasswordToolStripMenuItem_Click(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles PasswordToolStripMenuItem.Click
    element.SetAttribute("value", "password")
End Sub

Top Bottom