Question chat application opinion

cocol

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hello.

i want to develop a chat application,but i want to develop the ability of private chat between 2 users.

multiple users chat is very simple,but private chat is very complex ,but if we use database it become simple and very flexible.
so i need your expert opinion before i go through to built this chat application.

should i use database or not? (related with performance).

thank you very much for your time.

thank you for your reply.
database is very flexible and it's "simple" to implement private chat between 2 users,but if we have hundreds of users and for each 2 users we have connection to the database to store and retrieve data, so maybe we affect the chat application performance,so the question is:
is there other way or idea to start build a private chat application between 2 users ,without using database?
because if we don't have other way,so the database is the only way.
thank you very much for your time.

I don't think that you really read what I posted. You may have looked at the words, but you didn't absorb the meaning.
If you need to store data in a central location then a database is the obvious choice.
The question is simple: do you need to store data in a central location? If you do then there isn't really a better option than using a database. If you don't then there's no need for a database. You tell us. What data do you need to store for a private chat?

Back