Chart debugging in VSE13

hmlj

Programming Experience
Beginner
First off, I'm new to Visual Studio and .net. For my first project I'm working on a Winforms application and I'm having trouble charting. I have a number of modeling results in an Access database that I am attempting to build a viewer for. The goal is an XY line chart that loads appropriate data based on combobox selections. As a test, I loaded one table into the access database and directly pointed the x and y data to the appropriate columns (ignoring the combobox conditionals for now; just wanted to get a chart in place). When I run it, I get a red x but no errors thrown. Obviously it could be any number of things, which leads to my question: Is there a way to get more information to debug this in Visual Studio Express?

Thanks,

hmlj

Ok update. This morning I toggled off "Just my code" in the debugger options and was able to get it to throw this exception:

A first chance exception of type 'System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException' occurred in System.Windows.Forms.DataVisualization.dll

Additional information: Data points insertion error. Only 1 Y values can be set for this data series.

Not solved yet, but I have my next round of Google terms. :agree:

The Access database column headers can't have either spaces and/or commas. Eliminating those solved it.

Edit: Commas were the culprit.

Last edited:
Back