Question Changing Windows XP Crypto Service Provider

ChatNoir

Programming Experience
1-3
Hi all

I changed my workstation's CSP using a piece of software someone else in my company wrote with VB.NET, and as a result my computer will not work properly. I suspect that changing the CSP caused the "Cryptographic Services" service to fail - as a result, a whole bunch of key windows services (like RPC) fail. You can imagine what it's like. Despite this, I am able to log on to windows and access the registry and windows explorer, but since the RPC service is down, the computer restarts itself after 60 seconds.

I tried running the same program I used to change the CSP, in order to change it back to the original value (which was "Microsoft Strong Cryptographic Provider"), but apparently the application relies on the "Cryptographic Services" service or the Windows Crypto API, and a such it gives and exception and does not start.

Is there another way to change the CSP, e.g. through the registry?
I know that this is not a support forum but please help - I don't know where else to turn - my company does not have a support agreement with MS and I'm pretty stuck.

Thanks in advance.
Ray

Found the solution:

1) Go to the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography\Defaults\Provider Types\Type 001

2) In the right pane, change the value of the "Name" key to "Microsoft Strong Cryptographic Provider" or whatever your default CSP was prior to the change.

3) Restart your machine

Back