Change System HTTP Proxy

mudasirmirza

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi,

I am working on an application where User enter the IP address and Port of HTTP Proxy Server to use it.
I figured out a way to change Proxy settings using registry, however that is not system wide, that only works for IE and chrome.

I have been searching internet for about a week and could not find a way to set a system wide proxy to be used by all application. Is there any way to do so.

Also if I change proxy using registry, Internet Explorer does not picks it up, unless I open IE and apply settings and Close it.

I would really appreciate any assistance provided in this matter.

Regards,
Mudasir Mirza

The simple answer is there is no system wide proxy settings in Windows. There's the IE setting, which a lot of applications rely on, but some other applications have their own setting (Firefox for example).

If it has to be system wide wouldn't it make more sense to implement a VPN instead?

EDIT: After verification it seems I was wrong, there is a system wide proxy setting that can be set through the WinHTTP service.

Hi,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Can you please tell me how can I properly set IE proxy and FF proxy.
Currently I am trying to do IE proxy settings using RegistryKey, but for some reason that does not comes in effect for some time. I have to restart IE few times for that.
And about FF, I am unable to find a proper way.

Would really appreciate your assistance in this.

Regards,
Mudasir Mirza.

Back