Can't open or create DataSet with DataSet Editor/Designer, Opens with the XML editor

Freakish

Programming Experience
Beginner
When I open or try to create new DataSets (.xsd), Visual Studio opens them using the XML editor instead of the default DataSet Editor. When I try the right-click -> Open With option, DataSet Editor is not one of the available options in the list.

The default one is now set to the XML editor. I was able to create DataSets using the DataSet editor before, until this happened. How do I make Data sets open with the DataSet Editor/Designer again?

I have already tried repairing Visual Studio thru Control Panel -> Add/Remove but the problem still persists.

The only software I remember installing before this happened is Mozilla Firefox and Lavasoft Ad-aware. I have now uninstalled Lavasoft Ad-Aware.

I have also tried Tools -> Import and Export settings -> Reset settings but the problem still persists

Last edited:
I have searched the internet for possible solutions. I found out that entering this command in the Visual Studio Command Line will fix the problem:

'devenv /resetskippkgs' (without the quotes)

did it help any? i dont use VS 2005 very much, so i'm not aware of all the problems and their fixes

VS 2003 works exceptionally well, especially after sp1

Latest posts

Back