Can't create new DLL?

General Fear

Programming Experience
10+
I am using VB.Net 2010.
I am creating my own custom controls. I moved the old custom control DLL to another directory. I created a new DLL and copied it to the directory where the application resides thus replacing what was there. When I fire up the application I get an error that says " 'My_Common_Control_Library' is not declared. It may be inaccessible due to its protection level."
What is going on?

Did you change the interface (API, not UI) of that library? Did you change the version number of that library?

Don wrote:
"Did you remove the reference to the old assembly from your project and did you add a reference to the new assembly in your project? "

No I did not. I thought that if a drop a dll and ad a new dll, even if it is the same name, that the controls on the form would go away and I would be forced to place them again on the form.

jmcilhinney wrote:
"Did you change the interface (API, not UI) of that library? Did you change the version number of that library?"

I did change my DLL. I wanted to programmatically change the background color of the textbox. The goal was, if it is a required textbox, make the background yellow. I created a new DLL and copied it to the directory were the old DLL was. Then I got the above error message.

Back