Can't create ASP.NET project

Newbie_71

Programming Experience
Beginner
I bought a book to help me learn ASP.NET with VB.NET. I have no experience with ASP.NET. I re-formatted my hard drive and did a fresh install of both Windows XP (Home Edition) and Visual Studio.NET (Student Version).

I can make VB.NET applications. However, if I try to make an ASP.NET project, I get the following error message:

"The default web access mode for this project is set to file share, but the project folder at 'http:\\localhost\wwwroot$\WebApplication1' can not be opened with the path '\\YOUR-07A9FDXEN17\wwwroot$\WebApplication1'. The error return was:

Unable to create Web project 'WebApplication1'. The UNC share '\\YOUR-07A9FDXEN17\wwwroot$\WebApplication1' does not exist or you do not have access.

What would you like to do?

Retry using a different location ___

Open using Front Page extensions"

I have tried both options and I can't get either of them to work. The book I bought skips this step, which I assume must be a standard step that everyone evidently has to go through. I say this because this is from a fresh install of both Windows XP and Visual Studio.NET.

Can anyone here help me out by suggesting any ideas? I must confess that I know nothing about UNC file sharing and feel somewhat lost on this issue.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

"IIS on XP Home" is possible, search the web if you're feeling lucky.
www.asp.net has got the Cassini local free web server for debugging purposes.

Visual Web Developer for .Net 2.0 has built-in support for web server debugging with some version of Cassini.

Back