Can not open Project .sln file

edgedemon

Programming Experience
Beginner
I usually work on any projects using a USB pen drive. I continually get problems with VB Studio not being able to 'find' the files or project. Usually this is due to the Drive letter for the USB drive changing from machine to machine. My usual work around is to copy all files to the VB projects folder that visual studio creates under 'My Documents'. However for this project file, it is not working, I just can not open the project using the solution file.
Looking at the file path, VB is not looking in the correct folder to find the form1.vb file. I spent hours last night changing every option I could find trying to get thething to open, but with no luck. So I am sending it to you you guys to see if you have the same problem, or know a work around.
The machine I am using is a replacement for one that was stolen and is a completely fresh install of Visual Studio, and the project is in exactly the same format it was saved in originally, I really don't get it???
I have attached the complete files, including the ones I published, so hopefully one of you will know a workaround..

Many Thanks

Attachments

• TVUAssignmment1.zip
    32 KB · Views: 19
Open the solution. First remove the "TVU1.vb" item from Solution explorer list, something wrong with how its linked. Then use Project menu and "Add Existing Item" to add the "TVU1.vb" item from the project folder.

When working on your USB drive, you should pick a letter late in the alphabet, and assign it to the stick..

Right CLick My COmputer
Manage
Disk Manager
Right click drive, and assign drive letter

Also you can use the dos command SUBST - web has info on usage or you can map a network drive, always use the same letter and youl lbe fine

You can additionally, use a text editor on the SLN file and replace the paths that are in error -drastic last resort

Neither the solution file (.sln) or the project file (.vbproj) does normally use absolute paths, not in any of my 2003 or 2005 projects at least. In the posted project the solution file was ok with relative path, but there was some error with the project file, which sorted out when doing as I wrote in previous post.

Sorted

Thanks for that, it worked, I have tested on 3 machines and it works on all three.
Many thanks again Guys - appreciated..

Back