Can my Visual Studio 2003 developed App run on Vista?

blackduck603

Programming Experience
3-5
Hello,

I have developed a VB.NET-Based Windows application using Visual Studio 2003. This application uses the .NET 1.1 Framework. I want to try installing and running it on a Vista 64 machine. I want to be prepared for any Vista compatibility related issues that may arise since I will not be able to debug/compile at the install location.

Does anyone know of Vista compatibility issues related to
.NET 1.1 Framework
and/or
Visual Studio 2003 compiled Windows Apps?

I appreciate any helpful hints.

Thanks

Yes, .Net 1.1 is installed on Vista by default
It is not, only .Net 2.0 and 3.0 is included in Vista OS install, but .Net 1.1 SP1 is compatible with Vista 64bit and can be installed. Also .Net 2.0 can run 1.1 apps in compatibility mode. Regarding Vista 64bit and 32bit apps I just read it runs them in something called wow64 (windows on windows). So it appear it may work.

It is not, only .Net 2.0 and 3.0 is included in Vista OS install, but .Net 1.1 SP1 is compatible with Vista 64bit and can be installed. Also .Net 2.0 can run 1.1 apps in compatibility mode. Regarding Vista 64bit and 32bit apps I just read it runs them in something called wow64 (windows on windows). So it appear it may work.
I guess the dvd images for msdn subscribers are spoiled, my vista ultimate x86 and x64 has .Net 1.0, 1.1 w/ sp1, 2.0 w/sp1 and 3.0 installed. So in short, mine comes with it pre installed

I don't know about the msdn subscriber packages, but retails don't and mine didn't. Are you sure those were not included as optional elements? I recall my Vista had .Net 1.0 and 1.1 folders in the Microsoft.Net/Framework folders, but those frameworks were not actually present, only a few config files were there for who know what reason, I had a look right after first Vista startup. Later I had to install an older .Net application and it also installed .Net 1.1. In the control panel Programs list .Net 2.0 and 3.0 is not listed because they are actually part of the OS installation, while .Net 1.1 and 3.5 SP1 was installed later and is listed. In Vista feature lists usually only .Net 3.0 is mentioned, and they only need to because 3.0 is built upon and requires 2.0 to run, while 2.0 has no dependencies. Even if 2.0 extends namespaces and classes that were also present in 1.1 it is not an add-on to 1.1, it is a completely standalone library release, all assemblies were compiled to 2.0 versions.

I don't know about the msdn subscriber packages, but retails don't and mine didn't. Are you sure those were not included as optional elements? I recall my Vista had .Net 1.0 and 1.1 folders in the Microsoft.Net/Framework folders, but those frameworks were not actually present, only a few config files were there for who know what reason, I had a look right after first Vista startup. Later I had to install an older .Net application and it also installed .Net 1.1. In the control panel Programs list .Net 2.0 and 3.0 is not listed because they are actually part of the OS installation, while .Net 1.1 and 3.5 SP1 was installed later and is listed. In Vista feature lists usually only .Net 3.0 is mentioned, and they only need to because 3.0 is built upon and requires 2.0 to run, while 2.0 has no dependencies. Even if 2.0 extends namespaces and classes that were also present in 1.1 it is not an add-on to 1.1, it is a completely standalone library release, all assemblies were compiled to 2.0 versions.
I just double checked, my Vista dvd's install the full blown 1.0 and 1.1 (as well as 2.0 and 3.0).

I just made a new VM and installed vista on it using the msdn dvd and without activating it or doing any windows update I tried running a .Net 1.0 and a .Net 1.1 apps and both worked fine

After that I did windows updates and noticed that .Net 1.1 SP1 was already installed but not .Net 1.0 SP3

OK guys, It the PC does not have the 1.1 Framework I wil install it.

Does anyone know what determines when an application needs to be configured for Compatibility Mode on Vista?

Is it based on the compiler?

Thanks

OK guys, It the PC does not have the 1.1 Framework I wil install it.

Does anyone know what determines when an application needs to be configured for Compatibility Mode on Vista?

Is it based on the compiler?

Thanks
Luckily for you, .Net 1.1 works fine on all flavors of Vista so you don't need to get into compatibility modes here, you should consider distributing the app with the 1.1 framework installer so when the user installs your app, your installer can make sure the framework's installed if it isnt already

....so you don't need to get into compatibility modes

OK - I will try the install on Vista this weekend and see how it goes.

My curiosity has me wondering what situations would require COMPATIBILITY MODE.

I am all ears.

Thanks.

:D
Hello,

I have developed a VB.NET-Based Windows application using Visual Studio 2003. This application uses the .NET 1.1 Framework. I want to try installing and running it on a Vista 64 machine. I want to be prepared for any Vista compatibility related issues that may arise since I will not be able to debug/compile at the install location.

Does anyone know of Vista compatibility issues related to
.NET 1.1 Framework
and/or
Visual Studio 2003 compiled Windows Apps?

I appreciate any helpful hints.

Thanks

another thing to consider is permissions, generally unless you've a developer certificate license - vista will throw up the ugly protection dialogue when your app is run on other machines, warning about unknown publisher and security risks, which worries clients, the only way round that was to uncheck code signing for me, and add a few extra lines ot the compile post build command to patch the security.

application postbuild command:
call "$(DevEnvDir)..\..\VC\bin\vcvars32.bat"

call "$(DevEnvDir)..\..\VC\bin\editbin.exe" /NXCOMPAT:NO "$(TargetPath)"

"$(DevEnvDir)..\..\SDK\v2.0\bin\mt.exe" -manifest "$(ProjectDir)$(TargetName).exe.manifest" –outputresource:"$(TargetDir)$(TargetFileName)";#1

Hope this may help...

Andy

Back