Camera phone - VB.NET 2005

Moorzee

Programming Experience
3-5
Hello

I had a question a week or two ago surrounding capturing images from a camera. Found some dll's that our company had purchased years ago(TwainPro3Lib) and got my app working. Now my org want's me to be able to rip images straight from a samsung d900 camera phone! I am really struggling with it.

I've never used serial/COM ports etc.. and have looked at this. I've bought a bluetooth adapter and switched on bluetooth on phone. Found what COM ports it is using(5 outgoing, 6 incoming?!?!?) and have created a serialport object from the system.io namespace. I am at a loss what on earth I need to do. Has anyone else ever grabbed images directly from mobile phone?

Cheers

Paul.

I'm lost.

I have another thread\question currently regarding ripping images from a mobile camera phone. Have instaled the camera phones software(pc suite samsung) and looked and found a COM object that I can reference and have found two interfaces, IDevice and IConnection. I create myself a moby class implementing the IDevice interface but I just get a load of empty routines that my class "must implement". What is the point in an interface that just gives headers to routines?

The point of those interfaces in that COM is that they are used by classes of that COM. When (if) you get/create the correct instance of a relevant class in that COM you may be returned a interface type which you can use the members of to work with. Interfaces are used somewhat differently in COM than in managed .Net code because it was a required way of exposing COM functionality in the old days, these interfaces are used by the COM wrappers today when accessing the functionaliy from managed code.

A better place to ask would be on some forums for Samsung phone software developers.. Really, if you were wanting to rip images from a phone you would be better off using a more developer friendly phone like a series 60 nokia, or one running windows mobile 5

However, it is conceptually possible that, if you set your computer as an authorised bluetooth user of your phone, and the phone supports the bluetooth file browser specification then your computer can periodically browse the files of the phone and downlaod them. I doubt youll ever be able to get images straight out of the camera in webcam style over bluetooth. Such a move would probably require running a helper app on the phone. Again, for that youre going to need a better phone than the consumer fodder Samsungs; they just arent oriented at that kind of thing

That's as I thought to be honest CJ. Done my head in for the last 2 days. I also tried with my personal sony ericsonn w800i but still the same thing. Oh well that's life hey? :)

consumer phones are unlikely to be used as webcams.. someone else may have invented this wheel for a business phone tho! :)

Back