Question Building a Solution

AccessShell

Programming Experience
10+
When I create a program one Windows Operating system, how do I create it so it works in a different Windows operating system?
For example create in WIN VMXP, but run in WIN 7

Thanks

The target OS is generally irrelevant. All that usually matters is the version of the .NET Framework you're targeting. If you build the project on WinXP and target a particular .NET version, the app will almost certainly run on any later version of Windows, as long as that same version of .NET is available. There is more often an issue building on a later version and running on an earlier version, because later .NET versions may not be supported on earlier Windows versions.

If you are encountering a specific issue then please provide details of that issue because the solution will likely also be specific.

I tried to build a solution and in another attempt I tried to build the application. I found the .exe and ran it successfully in VMXP.
I copied the .exe and the .pdb file (I don't know if I need to copy this one) to the WIN 7 computer. When I tried to run it I get
A while back I tried to install VB.NET on the WIN 7 OS but it wiped out part of my vb6 so I uninstalled it. I My vb6 returned to as it was before. I don't know if this is related to the problem.

Thanks

Attachments

• exe error.jpg
    exe error.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 34
We can't tell you anything from the information you have provided, which is virtually nothing. There's even a View Details button on one of those dialogues that you have apparently decided should not be clicked. Maybe the details it provides would help and maybe they wouldn't but you'll never know if you don't even look. I said that the .NET version can be an issue and you haven't told us what version you're targeting or whether that is installed on the other system. You haven't told us anything about what your application does or what third-party components it might use. It seems like you've not made any attempt to gather any sort of diagnostic information for yourself and provided us with even less. You need to do some of the work here. We can't magic a solution to a problem we know pretty much nothing about.

Back