Brainstorming: Reasons why System.IO.FileSystemWatcher() wont pick up a new file.

NJDubois

Programming Experience
Beginner
I have written a program that watches the file system for a download, checks to see if the file is an audio file, and check to see if it needs to be converted to mp3 using SOX. Once all that is done, the app allows the user to find a matching record in a database and attach the mp3 to that record, and upload the file to an ftp server. On windows 7, everyone using this program had no issues. Ah but now with windows 8, things get interesting.

I can run the app and everything works just fine, but I've had users report that it wouldn't pick up the new file? I had to add a manual browse into the program because at the time I did not have windows 8. Now I am on windows 8 I find everything works fine. What's odd is maybe a year ago we hired a temp that used a brand new windows 8 laptop and everything worked fine for her too.

So I'm stumped. What could cause windows to lose control of the file? Firewall? Anti virus? Any other thoughts or accounts of this happening?

Thanks

Nick

Back