Binding Query to label

evad4682

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hello everybody,

I am trying to bind the reults of my query to a label on my form. I am doing this many times over into many different labels on the same form. I am building something like a summary report. This is what I am doing.

VB.NET:
[SIZE=2][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Dim[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] myconn [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]As[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] SqlConnection = [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]New[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] SqlConnection(cnxn)
[/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Dim[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] mysda [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]As[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]New[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] SqlDataAdapter
[/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Dim[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] myds [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]As[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] DataSet = [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]New[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] DataSet
[/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Dim[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] myDV [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]As[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] DataView
[/SIZE] 
[SIZE=2]mysda.SelectCommand = [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]New[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] SqlCommand
mysda.SelectCommand.Connection = myconn
mysda.SelectCommand.CommandText = "SELECT count(*) as [count] FROM Products WHERE name like 'Chair%'"
mysda.SelectCommand.CommandType = CommandType.Text
myconn.Open()
mysda.Fill(myds, "1")
myconn.Close()
myDV = [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]New[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] DataView(myds.Tables("1"))
[/SIZE][SIZE=2]lbl1.DataBindings.Add("text", myDV, "count")[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE] 
[SIZE=2] 
mysda.SelectCommand = [SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]New[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] SqlCommand
mysda.SelectCommand.Connection = myconn
mysda.SelectCommand.CommandText = "SELECT count(*) as [count] FROM Products WHERE name like 'Couch%'"
mysda.SelectCommand.CommandType = CommandType.Text
myconn.Open()
mysda.Fill(myds, "2")
myconn.Close()
myDV = [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]New[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] DataView(myds.Tables("2"))
[/SIZE][SIZE=2]lbl1.DataBindings.Add("text", myDV, "count")[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

I am writing this statement again and again to count the different products I have. I am wondering, do I have to continuously fill my dataset with a new table full of information and then bind the results of that table to each label (appox 50 labels)? Is there a better way? Can I just read the results of my query and then pass that text to the label?

Thanks for the help

you dont fill datasets - datasets are collections of datatables. datatables are filled

you cannot bind a label to a specific rown in a table. you would be better off writing one or more UNION select queries, and producing a set of results from the database that is in 2 columns, then show the data in a grid

The first column would be the label text, the second column would be the value

Back