Auto update

pitaridis

Programming Experience
10+
Can someone tell me how I can develop an Auto update for my application? I know how to download the new file but how can I delete the current file and replace it with the new at the moment that the old file is running?

Aristotelis

ClickOnce has this feature built in. Go to project properties, Publish tab and click 'Updates..' button. This bring the dialog where this can be set up with a few checkboxes and radio options.

The thread that you indicated does not say anything about the ClickOnce.

I do not know what ClickOnce is. Is it some kind of plug in for the visual studio?

ClickOnce is the deployment tool included in all versions of Visual Studio 2005.

Is your profile wrong perhaps? (Primary Platform: .NET 2.0 (VS 2005))

I found how to build the ClickOnce system for my application but can someone tell me how to produce a setup which will be able to be used by someone without access to the internet. In order to update the application the user could use a menu command inside the application.

This is probably a stupid questio,n but can you use the auto update feature without using the ClickOnce as your setup process? I prefer to add a setup process to my software b/c it is more flexable. That is unless I don't fully understand ClickOnce. I just think ClickOnce is too limited.

Setup projects doesn't have an auto-update feature AFAIK.

Can I customize the ClickOnce feature to make installations like I can with the Setup Projects? I really like the ClickOnce feature but I still have not used it b/c I havn't found a way to really customize the setup process. I havn't dug very far into either but maybe some one here has.

ClickOnce can't be customized other than the options in Publish page.

Back