Question Asp.Net Send Notification To Client Application

rickjackson

Programming Experience
1-3
Hello to all,

I am making a Real Time Application which consist of a Web Application (Asp.Net) and a Windows Client Application (VB.Net) Now what will happen when the users Request is Scraped He will be notified via Client Application and this will be Real Time.

My Collegue Told me that Put a Timer Control on the form and it will hit the database at subsequent intervals of time but i dont want to do like that. i want to get callback from the server that something is changed in the databse i will show the notification. A Kind of a Wrapper that will be middleman between the Web and Windows and will show notification.

What i am saying is that can be implemented or its make sense. Show some sample article links.

Thanks

Please Reply

Thanks

Asp.Net Send Notification To Vb.Net Client Application
Technically, that should be possible, but it involves several layers and a different kind of polling, and it may be better to poll database (or try the database notification) and most likely much simpler to implement. What I'm thinking about is combining this Implementing Client Callbacks Programmatically Without Postbacks in ASP.NET Web Pages and this WebBrowser.ObjectForScripting Property (System.Windows.Forms). You would then have a forms client with a COM object assigned to browser, browser displays the ASP.Net page that has the client callback system, where the javascript callback request is sent at intervalls to get the information you're after from the ASP.Net application server side, and the javascript result callback calls the COM object, which in turn may raise an event in the forms application. As you may realize this is a polling system where you instead of asking the db server is asking the web server application for information. It may be a fun exercise to implement, but I'm not sure if or why you need it (well, there must be some information that is readily available in web app and not in db).

Back