ASP.NET Questions: Only for Microsoft?

Programming Experience
Beginner
I have been reading up on asp and spent a good 9 hours studying it. I really liked it but felt a bit defeated when I learned plain asp was outdated and I had to move on the ASP.NET. I really liked the sound of asp.net. W3C says this is only for Microsoft? I do have Microsoft XP and I know Microsoft dominates the market but 20% of the people on the internet probably use make or Linux.

So my question is, does this mean you can only write this if you use Microsoft? Or does this mean you can only view it if you have the Microsoft OS? Because I will still use it if other operating systems can see it.

I have been reading up on asp and spent a good 9 hours studying it. I really liked it but felt a bit defeated when I learned plain asp was outdated and I had to move on the ASP.NET. I really liked the sound of asp.net. W3C says this is only for Microsoft? I do have Microsoft XP and I know Microsoft dominates the market but 20% of the people on the internet probably use make or Linux.

So my question is, does this mean you can only write this if you use Microsoft? Or does this mean you can only view it if you have the Microsoft OS? Because I will still use it if other operating systems can see it.

There is no need of Mono Tools and stuff. You should use that only if you want to port your .NET applications to Linux . In other words you need such stuff only if you plan to deploy .NET applications on Linux. Otherwise all OS and Browsers can handle ASP.NET content.

Back