ASP.NET does not work with Visual Studio Enterprise Developer 2003

bpl

Programming Experience
10+
ASP.NET worked fine with trial version Visual Studio .NET 2003.
Now we bought and I installed Visual Studio Enterprise Developer 2003 on my second PC. VB.NET works fine.
When I tried to create a new ASP.NET Web Application, I got ASP.NET version mismatch dialog box:

Visual Studio .NET has detected that the Web Server is running ASP.NET version 1.0. The Web Application you are creating can be configured to be compliant with ASP.NET 1.0.
However, the application will not be able to use new features from ASP.NET 1.1.
What do you want to do?
  • Don't open Application. I will upgrade ASP.NET on the server to the latest version before processing;
  • Make the Application compliant with ASP.NET version 1.0.
I checked if already have the .NET Framework 1.1 installed by opening Add or Remove Programs from Control Panel. I found Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 listed in the list of applications, so I don't need to install it again and I selected the second radiobutton: Make the Application compliant with ASP.NET version 1.0 and clicked OK.
I got Dialog Box: "Web access failed":
Default access mode is set to file share, but the project folder at "http://localhost/asptest can not be opened with the path "\\localhost\asptest". The error returned was:
Unable to create Web project 'asptest'. The UNC share \\localhost\asptest does not exist or you don't have access.

I have InetPub server installed on my local drive with wwwroot subdirectory.

I had the same problem, goto microsofts page and do a search on the error, there is a link that tells you to add a few commandline statements and that should fix it

I experienced the same problem when installing VS.NET 2003 Enterprise Architect. It seems like the ASP.NET doesn't get updated to the new version automatically. To do this manually, run the ASP.NET Registration Tool (aspnet_regiis.exe) located in the Framework folder with the right version like this from the command prompt:

c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_regiis -i

Hope this helps.

//Hasse

I have the same problem and the aspnet command does what it's supposed to do but it does not fix the problem.

The weird thing is, if 1.0 is detected, and we make the project 1.0 compliant, why then can we still not open it?

Back