Allow user to build If Statements through UI options

22-degrees

Programming Experience
1-3
Hi all,

I need to provide a feature to allow a user to select one of several options form several different categories which can then be used to construct an If Statement to access data stored in arrays etc and return a result.

Basic Example: (using arbitrary headers and data)

Each header represents a combobox, each box has several options.

Argue
Stock
Oper.
Amt
Msg
IF
Apples>1Order More
AND
Oranges<2Lower Price
OR
Pears=3Give them away
ELSE
Plums<>4Dump them

So if the user selects "if", "Oranges", "<", "2", "Order More", the statement built would be:

VB.NET:
If oranges < 2 then

msgbox("Order More " & comboStock.selecteditem.tostring)

End if

In reality, the number of options and parameters are vastly greater than the demonstration above but I wanted to keep it simple. As I don't have the greatest knowledge of VB.net, I was hoping someone could provide a few keywords that I might research to hopefully achieve what I need.

What kind of options do I have, if any?

Last edited:
Hi,

I have not actually had need to do this myself before but what I think you need to look into is VB Scripting. This effectively allows you to create and evaluate expressions on the fly using the MSScriptControl
but I am not too sure just how powerful it actually is. Have a read of this blog that I found to get you started:-

Make your .Net application support scripting - a practical approach - Blog - Osherove

Good Luck.

Cheers,

Ian

That's great thanks Ian..

From initial testing it looks like it will do exactly what I need it to do.

Also there are some good keywords hidden in the comments from a previous site that used to host this person's blog so if I hit a dead-end at any point then at least I have a back-up plan.

Good to hear and you are welcome.

I have also looked into this a bit further and have got a good few examples of how this works which could be good for any future needs in my own programs.

Post back if you need any further help.

Cheers,

Ian

Back