advantage and disadvantage of using ms access in a web application????

heaven

Programming Experience
Beginner
guys can you help me with this one, i designed a windows application using ms access database, now i want to add some web application using the same database and same format of database. are there will be problems is i stick with the same format of database? please help. thanks

If there are any problems, it will be because of Access itself. You *may* run into performace issues (Access is not a speed demon, it does OK, but it can be slow at times.) You may also run into concurrency issues when you get high volume traffic all trying to access the data at the same time. Goes back to the performance issue.

But other than that, it should be OK.

-tg

Actually there will be only 2 users for that web apps. I hope access will do it, actually im kinda bit lazy to revise my code if i will use a sql server for my database, is there a way to automatically change my oledbconnections to sqlconnections? so that i will not go to editing it one-by-one? your idea is greately appreciated.

Thanks a lot TG for replying to my first post. Youre very helpfull,

If there's only two people, use Access.... it's going to be the easiest & simplest solution. If you *really* want to conver to SQL Server though, simply to a Search Replace searching for "OLDEB" and replace with "SQL"..... but if all ou do is just change the ConnectionString, the OLEDBClient classes will still connect to SQL Server just fine.

-tg

TechGnome said:
If there's only two people, use Access.... it's going to be the easiest & simplest solution.
-tg

Don't you think that say MSSQL is also easiest and simplest solution? You can find many people that claim this.:)
Actually i don't see the difference ... maybe performance but hey it is irelevant if the app is intended for only two people.

Regards ;)

For something this small, which is only going to be used by two people, and coupled with the fact that it sounds like he already has it set up for Access..... no. MSSQL would be overkill. I know I normaly recommend (read push) the use of MSSQL or MSDE, but after the car has been built, it's harder to change out the engine. Know what I mean?

-tg

Hi TechGnome,
I don't know where are you from but to recommend something without consider its price is not always wise. I suppose you know that MSSQL (Enterprise Edition) costs about $20.000 per processor. So with that in mind your recommendation is kind of nonsense to me. Also about MSDE. It is actually more limited than MSAccess so, i wouldn't recommend to anyone this plug-in if i may. MSAccess is i'd say perfect solution for Infrequent web sites. Actually, long time ago i had my own Forum builded with ASP/VBScript and MSAccess as backend. http://www.jugoars.com/forum/default.asp i've kept it (data are removed from DB) only because of the design and to know what i've done in my life :D.
So, this forum was in function for more than two years without 1 single problem in meantime. But hey that's me!!! At least, I have had good experience with MSAccess in the past. Will see in the future :)

Regards ;)

Dude.... I NEVER RECOMMENDED SQL SERVER OR MSDE in this thread... Not ONCE. In factI even said, back in post #4
If there's only two people, use Access.... it's going to be the easiest & simplest solution.

I never suggested SQL Server or MSDE now did I? Now, there was a *_separate_* question about changing the objects from OLEDBClient to SQLClient. And I answered that too. But I suggested that since it sounded like it was already in Access, and there were only going to be two people, to STICK WITH ACCESS.

Geeez.... I really hate it when I'm misquoted..... I even mentioned that
MSSQL would be overkill.
in post #6...

Now, WTF did I ever mention, use MSDE or SQL Server no matter what?

-tg

TechGnome said:

Now, WTF did I ever mention, use MSDE or SQL Server no matter what?

-tg

Hi there,
It is really interesting how you interpreted my last reply. I didn't mean anything against you but rather i wanted to point out some stuff about MSSQL. Obviously, you missunderstood me. Ok, maybe i was little too rigid in my judgment and mentioning your name but, however there is not place for such Vocabulary i beleive.
Moreover, if you find at least one word there that is insulting you directly i'll back all my words. Nevermind. Let's forget all these above and please accept my appologize if i said something wrong :eek:

Regards ;)

Last edited:
This was the problem:
So with that in mind your recommendation is kind of nonsense to me.

I *never* had recommended SQL Server.... I know about the costs of SQL, that's why I said that
use Access.... it's going to be the easiest & simplest solution.

It's not so much what was said... but how...

I'm sorry that it came off the wrong way....

-tg

Oh that! Well, i think you have to consider the fact that English is not my native language and sometimes i can't feel the right meaning of some phrases because of cultural difference within sense of the same. For instance, if you say all that in my Native language it doesn't mean anything bad. At least, it is not that shocking ... at all. Well, finally i'm not shamed if i say that English is not my primer foreign language but rather it is French (i have studied French in the school) and English i learned (maybe that how i wish to be hahaha) by watching a movies and reading a books. :D However, i hope we resolved the issue.

Regards ;)

btw,

Back