Add web interface to winforms application

ddonais

Programming Experience
Beginner
I am writting a new application in VB.Net that will have a standard gui like any other application. However I would also like to be accessible from our internal LAN via web browser. The basic functionality of the program is to record audio, and I would like to beable to access the audio files as well as perhaps some configuration via a webpage that is hosted by my application. I am new to this part of VB.net so any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can't access a Windows Forms application via a web browser. If you want a web interface then you have to write a web application. It will be a separate app to your WinForms app, but it will access the same data.

So would it be 2 separate apps running on the machine?

I have seen other apps that run and have a web access built in, not sure what language they are based on though.

I have seen other apps that run and have a web access built in

I doubt that. A Windows application runs on the client and a web app runs on the server. They are two different things. One thing you can do is deploy your Windows application using ClickOnce. What that means is that a user can run the app from a URL. The app will then be silently downloaded to the user's machine and run locally. It can be automatically deleted when closed as well, so it appears to the user that nothing was ever installed. A ClickOnce app does have some limitations though, so you'd need to take that into account.

John I think what he means is an integrated web server that hosts a web interface to the application. This is entirely doable. First I would encapsulate the core functions into a WCF service hosted inside the application, connect the winforms GUI to the service, and add an integrated web server hosting the web interface, also connected to the same WCF service. Of course you could also just forego the Winforms GUI altogether...

John I think what he means is an integrated web server that hosts a web interface to the application. This is entirely doable. First I would encapsulate the core functions into a WCF service hosted inside the application, connect the winforms GUI to the service, and add an integrated web server hosting the web interface, also connected to the same WCF service. Of course you could also just forego the Winforms GUI altogether...

Yes this is exactly what I want. Are there any examples I can follow?

Back