Access Database + Front End - Reporting!

thebatfink

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi, I'm using VS 2010 Express and creating a front end to a Access backend. I'm ok with manipulating the data in the tables and displaying this to forms so far, but I am looking for how you would go about reporting the data for printing etc. What options are there available? I've done loads of google searches but it feels confusing. Many talk of SQL Server Reporting (which I don't have) or Crystal Reports (but I'd rather have a free solution and I don't have the resource to buy VS2010 Pro).

I basically want to draw up report templates (they don't need to be rediculously fancy or interactive), much like I did with Access and store these in my app, and then define what records are displayed in code from my app.

Is this even possible? I'd of thought it would be very common, maybe people don't create hard copies of their data that much?

Thanks!

SQL Server Reporting Services is free. You simply download the advanced edition of SQL Server Express and you've got SSRS. I'm just not sure whether VB 2010 Express supports creation of reports. It definitely supports viewing of reports but I think that it used to be only VWD Express that supported report creation, and may still be. It may be possible to create a report in VWD Express and then import it into VB Express but I'm not sure as I've never tried.

Hi, thanks for the reply. Tough subject, normally a series of well formed google searches leads you to stumble across something but I really struggled with this one. I was hoping to avoid anything SQL server for the time being.. but maybe it's unavoidable.

Can I assume if I get Visual Studio 2010 Professional then this issue will disappear and I'll be able to create reports natively in VS without too much bother?

Thanks for the help!

VS 2010 Pro just uses SSRS, the same as I've described above. To be honest, I'm not 100% sure that you need SSRS installed to use client reports. I've only ever created server reports myself.

I have SQL installed. I gather the reports are made in Business Intelligence Development Studio? The only Reporting Services option I can see is the configuration tool?

Thanks

Ok.. I'm missing something here then. What exactly is the tool / software name used for creating / desgining the reports - for adding to VS Express for use with the reportviewer control - if its not BIDS?! My installation looks like SRSS is a service and not a tool, at least, I only see a configuration option in my start menu with my 2008 SQL with tools installation.

Think I'm going to download a trial of VS2010 Pro and see if it's any less painful to make a report!

Install VS Pro and had a working report in 10 minutes. Now I understand why theres several hundred pound versions of VS.. features like these. That and why it seems so difficult to get around it with Express edition. Now how to learn the ins and outs of ReportDesigner and Viewer and figure out how to fund a full VS version.

You never know what you are missing in VS Express until you use the full version... Something as simple as a Break button on the toolbar, or a proper Locals window... :)

Um, I did mention earlier that you can create client reports in VWD Express. Have you tried doing so and then importing them into a VB Express project? I don't know if it will work but it is worth a try given that it is a no-cost solution. I'm not sure exactly why they included that functionality only in VWD Express but there you go.

Back