A menu similar to XP's MY COMPUTER->left menu? Is that control exists in .NET? Help.

marksquall

Programming Experience
3-5
A menu similar to XP's MY COMPUTER->left menu? Is that control exists in .NET? Help.

Hello guys,

For those who are still using Windows XP (like me), I am just curious about this control that when you click the title (the title is a link text)...the sub menu pulls up (gradual animation) and hides totally; and when it is clicked again, it will animatedly pull down, showing again the menu. You can find this control (or component) when you click START->MY COMPUTER->on the left side, you have System Tasks, Other Places and Details. That is the control I am talking about! Oh please someone tell me the name of it...:confusion:

I just wonder if there is a control similar to that in .NET? Or is it just a trick you need to produce? I have seen one in the Internet, but the programmer uses a Panel, Link Label, and a Timer components.

I hope you could help me.

Warm regards,

Mark Squall

Last edited:
It looks like the screenshot attached, and usually referred to as collapsible/expandable panel. It's been a while since I saw XP, so I had to do some searches before I found that image and understood what you meant.
ASP.Net has such a control in AJAX control toolkit called CollapsiblePanel, and WPF includes that control called Expander.
Winforms does not include such a control, but you may find third-party controls for it. If you want to build/arrange something similar in winforms the FlowLayoutPanel comes in handy.

Attachments

• windows-explorer-common-tasks.png
    windows-explorer-common-tasks.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 29
Thank you for the name of the control.

To JohnH,

YES, that's the one...whew....thank you JohnH for such great information (at last, you relief me from headache keep on thinking on the name :chuncky: ), so that means no matter what .NET Framework version I use, Windows.Forms doesn't provide such controls (sad to hear that though)? Well, I guess I should go for the "tricky look-and-feel" expandable panel I encountered on a programming tutorial. But, (just in case) you know any site where I could download such third party, I hope you could let me know Sir JohnH.

Thank you and more power. And God bless.

Warm regards,

Mark Squall

If I am not mistaken the one they use is just a reskinned listview. You can make collapsable groups that behave pretty much the same with them. They likely derived from it and custom drew it from there.

Back