A Client Server application question

blumonde

Programming Experience
Beginner
I built a windows application. I don't know if I can install it on the server where end-users can run it simultanously from the server or I have to install my appl. individually on each workstation of the end-users.

Please tell me my options and what do I have to do to get it done right.

Thanks.

blumonde

That used to be the case... but with .NET, I don't think that's the case any longer.
BUUUT.... that means running the application.... byt multiple users.... over the network.... unless you have a very small, very strong network, only a couple of users, and a VERRRY understanding network admin... I wouldn't recommend it.

Tg

TechGnome said:
That used to be the case... but with .NET, I don't think that's the case any longer.
BUUUT.... that means running the application.... byt multiple users.... over the network.... unless you have a very small, very strong network, only a couple of users, and a VERRRY understanding network admin... I wouldn't recommend it.

Tg

Hi TechGnome,

Thanks for the tip. Just to be safe, I think I will install it locally on each ws. I thought it was safe and secure so that I only need to update the appl. on the server instead of doing it at every workstation.

Cheers,

blumonde

Well, what you could do is put the install out on the network, and then put an "Update App" shortcut on everyone's desktop that points to it. Then, when you update, just have everyone get out of the system, run the update then they can get back in.

Another problem I just remembered about running things off the network is the updates. We've got at least one client that installs our app on a server, then uses Terminal Server to have everyone login to the app. When they run the install for an update, EVERYONE has to be out of the app, or the files in use won't get updated. It's caused us grief on more than one occasion. But then again that was in VB6.... I don't know if the same holds true for .NET.

Tg

TechGnome said:
Well, what you could do is put the install out on the network, and then put an "Update App" shortcut on everyone's desktop that points to it. Then, when you update, just have everyone get out of the system, run the update then they can get back in.

Another problem I just remembered about running things off the network is the updates. We've got at least one client that installs our app on a server, then uses Terminal Server to have everyone login to the app. When they run the install for an update, EVERYONE has to be out of the app, or the files in use won't get updated. It's caused us grief on more than one occasion. But then again that was in VB6.... I don't know if the same holds true for .NET.

Tg

Hi TG,

Thanks for the reminder. I will place the install on the server. I need to read up about Terminal Server. I hope we won't run into that same problem.

blumonde

I have similar query?

I have around 50 Workstations located at different places in Buldg. Is there any way by which my program can automatically takes the updates

TechGnome said:

Tg

Yes but you have to deal with a lot of security settings on locals.

Thats What

I am working on one of working stations and not on server so i can not change the security settings or apply group policy

Back