2 Autocomplete/Intellisense questions

J. Scott Elblein

Programming Experience
10+
I was wondering if I am missing some setting, or maybe there is some addon to VS.NET 2005, that remedies the following:

1) When I have a control on a form, for example btnButton, once I start typing "btn" that it will show a list of the buttons on the form, just like an autocomplete in a browser url bar does to match whatever is on the form?

It seems like old VB used to do this, but in VS2K5 it is not doing that for me. It only shows the intellisense list AFTER i typed the name of the button (from my own memory) plus the dot, showing the things you can do with the object.

2) After I type in the dot as I mentioned above, and the list of properties etc. shows, and I highlight and hit the enter button on it, it automatically fills in the rest but it also sends your cursor plus a space to the next line. When there is more to add to the previous line, this becomes a hassle real fast because I need to grab the mouse again, click back up to fill in the rest, and delete the extra space it added. It's also a pain to have to grab the mouse again to just click the property to fill instead of hitting the enter button (which fixes the Enter button problem, but takes my hand away from the keyboard).

I would like to be able to just use the arrow keys to highlight what i want auto-filled, hit enter, it fills it in, but then keeps the cursor on the same line just after it.

I don't mean to sound like a complainer, I'm just trying to make my coding environment more comfortable, efficient and productive. :)

Any help is very appreciated!

I honestly dont remember that feature in vb6 or 2003 only the method and properties pop up after typing ControlName and "."

As far as staying on the same line after choosing a property from the window, use the space bar.

1. "Me" keyword references current instance, so in form code it is really fast to type "me.btn.." and have the list you ask for up.

2. Use space key or press "." or "=" as appropriate, even with a space after last object/property you can still press "." again and intellisense is on the go to help you again.

Back